For those who don't know, Sam has been OBSESSED with The Price is Right since he was three. I don't know exactly what the draw has been for him, perhaps the noise, the excitement, the repetition, the knowledge that Bob Barker & Drew Carey will always be there for him...I just don't know.
I, too, have fed this obsession...he got a PIR hat for Christmas one year, he has personalized autographs of both Bob Barker & Drew Carey. He was Bob Barker for Halloween at age 4 and has been Drew Carey for the past 2 Halloweens. He has episodes of the show on his iPod, he has an electronic and DVD game, he has two, very worn out t-shirts that I made him with Drew Carey's face on the front. He carries around a wooden spoon as a microphone and has complete episodes memorized.
The Price Is Right is his "thing" and it's been his "thing" since he was 3.
Well, as you know, I try to win the coveted "Mother of the Year" award every year. I may be in the running this year. I've tried over the last year to get in touch with someone at CBS. I've sent several emails via the web site with no luck. I've called the ticket office with no luck. I finally found a number and spoke with a lady in marketing, Cindy. She told me to send her an email telling her a little about Sam and that she would forward it on to the producers of the PIR. This is what I wrote:
Sam was born on May 27, 1999 in SLC, Utah. Sam was born 3 1/2 weeks early due to a previously diagnosed massive stroke that occurred at about 5-6 months gestation. The doctors gave him a 50% chance of survival and if he did survive, he'd be severely disabled. He endured brain surgery at 1 month to place a shunt due to hydrocephalus. His other diagnoses include: CP, hemiparesis, seizures, vision issues, mild autism.
Sam began to watch The Price is Right when he was about 3. I don't know what he loved about it, be it the noise, repetition or Bob. We've got video of him at a young age talking to Bob on the TV. Due to his issues, he focuses his attention on very few things but PIR has been a constant in his life.
Currently, Sam is almost 10 years old. He's in the 4th grade at a special needs private school in Tyrone, Ga. and has shared his love of the PIR with everyone. I can't even tell you how many times Sam has told strangers about Bob's retirement and Drew Carey being the new host. Anyone who knows Sam knows his love for the PIR.
When I ask Sam what he wants to be when he grows up, it's always a game show host. Sam has several episodes of the PIR on his iPOD, he watches old episodes on the computer, he has the DVD game and the electronic game which he totes around and plays Plinko all day long. Sam likes to use a wooden spoon as his microphone, even though we've bought real microphones for him to use. I've made his several t-shirts with Drew's face on the front and the PIR symbol on the back. Sam knows all of the PIR model's names and how to be a model. Sam also loves Rich, the announcer as well. He is constantly carrying around old used store gift cards that he uses to announce "the actual retail price", just like Drew Carey does.
What my request is to see if there is any way possible for Sam to come to LA and see the PIR set. I know Drew Carey, Rich & the models have busy schedules but it would mean the world to him and us as his family if he could meet his idols. As his mom, I've tried to give him opportunities where he can be a "regular" kid. His life has been filled with surgeries, doctor appointments & constant therapies. Sam would not qualify for "Make a Wish" since his condition is not terminal but his condition is life long. We don't know if he'll ever be able to be on his own, he may never drive a car, date, marry or have children of his own but what he has accomplished in his brief life is amazing. He has a gift to love people and bring happiness and joy.
If it is in any one's power to grant Sam's "wish" of seeing the PIR and meeting Drew, we would be forever grateful for your kindness.
Thank you for your time,
Kim Weinreb
Sam's mom
678-715-9596
So I emailed that off to Cindy and never heard back. I emailed her a second time just to see if she had received the email, still, no response....until today.
I was cleaning the bathroom when the phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and it said, "CBS". I answered and it was Gina, a producer for the show. She said she got the email about Sam and was wondering when we want to come out for a taping. I was shocked to say the least! I said, "I didn't think anyone would respond." And she said, "See, you just never know." She told me to look at the taping schedule and to choose a date. We will be "production guests" for the day and we'll be in a special spot. They do not allow kids to be in the audience but they have given Sam special privileges. I cannot even believe this is happening!!! I am not sure when or how to tell Sam that this is going to happen. If I tell him too soon, that's all I will hear about until we go. I guess I better take a look at the schedule and plan our special visit to The Price Is Right.
Hollywood...here we come!
Could life get any better?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!!! That is soooooo fabulous!! I can't wait to see him. They are going to flip when they meet him. I don't think they really get what they are in for when they meet him.
This made me tear up! Go Sam! Go you! Here's to Big Dreams!
I'm so thrilled for Sam!
That is so exciting! It was nice to read about Sam, where he started how he is doing now. You are a sweet Mama to do this for him. Have a blast and I can't wait to see a picture of Sam with Drew. So fun ...
Kim...you do get the Mother of the Year award! And Sam wouldn't surprise me a bit if he actually grew up to be the new Bob or Drew.
Oh MY GOSH!! How awesome!! Rachel was telling me about how you always get to do these cool kinds of things because you are willing to ask! That is so cool! I'm so excited for him!!
p.s. $40 is a bit much I would say...I scored mine for $5!!!
That is super awesome! I hope that he gets to experience everything there is on the show. Tell them he HAS to play PLINKO!!!
What could be better than this? So cool....can't wait for pictures!
that is so exciting! i remember when sam would do the weather. he is such a smart kid! have fun...we can't wait to hear all about it.
WOW!!! I can't wait to see that episode!!! Keep us informed. CONGRATS!
that is so great! and yes, i will relinquish the coveted "mother of the year" award to you! actually, i don't think i ever had it. i am so excited for you guys!
Wow, Sam is going to flip out! That is so wonderful! I hope it's an awesome trip for all of you! :)
Post a Comment