Wednesday, May 20, 2009

10 Years Ago Today

Thursday, May 20, 1999:

I got up and ready
We went to our appointment at LDS
Dr. Ball came in and did another ultrasound and made a different diagnosis
"The swelling is either from fluid or blood but we can't determine that with an ultrasound."

The case is very severe and very rare
My antibodies may be fighting the baby's platelets
It could be a congenital infection
They decide against doing the chorocentesis since it could cause more problems
They decide to do an amniocentesis-yikes!

Dr. Porter calls in a favor to the U of U Radiology Dept to get me in for a MRI

We arrived at the U of U & I drank a bunch of water and took 2 valium. Perfect.
I was in the MRI for an hour

Dr. Ball said the baby had an intraventricular hemorrhage
The baby has a 50% chance of survival and if he/she does survive, he/she will be very disabled & have multiple handicaps.

They want to schedule a conference with Dr. Ball & Dr. Porter (perinatalogists), Dr. Kestle (neurosurgeon), Dr. Satterwhite (neonatalogist), a genetic counselor and the radiologist. Quite a group!

Michelle, Jason & Amy Corless bring us dinner

We will find out what our options are tomorrow.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Reading this puts an immediate lump in my throat.