Today was the day...
I got up and got ready then we drove to the hotel to pick up Judy then off to the U of U.
I got into a prep room, had a visit from the anesthesiologist, got an IV and had blood drawn. There were a lot of people coming in & out of the room...the RN, student RN, a resident, a medical student & the residents from the NICU. This is what happens when you are in a teaching hospital. We must have been the interesting case for the day.
We also had Judy, dad, Susan, Rachel, mom, Jane & Kim Burr in the waiting room. Waiting.
Dr. Bowman came in and gave us hugs. She was able to clear her schedule to be there with us.
It was time. They wheeled me back to the OR and got started. It was very scary. The waiting and wondering if this baby would be OK. Dr. Bowman stood by my side and held my hand the entire time. Todd was sitting next to me, waiting and hoping.
At 12:04pm, he came into our life...

Samuel Randy Weinreb
5 lbs. 10 oz.
The moment he cried, all I could do was sob and say, "Please let him be OK" over and over. Todd didn't even look at him, he wanted us to see him together. They passed him through to the NICU and I didn't see him until after my recovery.
I was wheeled into the NICU on a gurney and we were finally able to see him. He was beautiful & perfect.
We had lots of phone calls and visitors. We were surrounded by love & support.
At 8:30pm, 8 hours after he was born, I was finally able to hold Sam. He was a tiny miracle. What will happen in the next few days, months or years? No one knew.
He was then transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center NICU by the Life Flight nurse.

I went from being an excited soon-to-be-mom to a NICU mom. There were lots of us there. No one knew who could or would go home. There are great moments of happiness like when your baby graduates from an incubator to a crib but there are also heart breaking moments like when one of those babies die.
We were lucky. We got to bring our baby home.

Sam has been a challenge and a joy. We've learned much from him. He's taught us how to be patient, how to love others regardless of their disabilities, how to laugh and find joy and how to rely on our Heavenly Father. I believe everyone has a purpose in life and I feel Sam's purpose is to make others happy. He truly loves unconditionally. He is an example to everyone around him.
Very few people have the opportunity to raise an earthly angel
I am grateful that I am one of them
Happy Birthday Sam




11 comments:
ahhhh sammy, what a joy! He really does make everyone happy. Great recaps Kim.
i remember holding him when he was a very tiny baby. he was so cute! i have really enjoyed reading your last few posts. it is great to hear a stong mother recount her experiences and made me grateful for my own.
Beautiful! What a joy. I'm so glad you are telling this story.
He was such a cute little baby! What would we all do without little Sam!?! Happy Birthday!
I'm in tears. What an amazing experience, and what a great job you've done documenting your thoughts and feelings at the time. Sam is an angel, for sure. But, then again, so are you and Todd. :)
Happy Birthday to Sam! And hugs to you all from PA!
Loved reading this Kim.
Thanks for sharing your amazing and difficult story! This is so very beautiful!
Thanks for sharing Sam's story. You are an example of faith and love. Thank you for your example.
I remember how exciting his arrival was. He was most darling little guy in the world!
I remember sitting across a craft table from you at enrichment night listening as you talked about some of the complications that had arisen. I remember learning that you liked frogs that night. That night seems like a million years ago.
My how much we grow and change . . .
You have an amazing little guy! Sam is indeed one of those earthly angels who buoy the rest of us up, and teach us life's most important lessons. He has a fantastic mom too!
Such a sweet post from a loving mama. He is an exceptional kid and he is blessed to have you!
Post a Comment