We had some kids come over yesterday and they were all in the back yard. As I watched one of the boys tease Sam a bit, I called him up and got about 2 inches away from his face and had to explain how Sam is different. He doesn't understand what the other kids are doing and why he can't do what they are doing. The boy apologized and they went on playing.
It makes me sad to think that a few short years from now Sam may be a loner. Will the other kids just decide to stay away since Sam is so different from them? Will he come sit in the house and not participate because they don't understand why he talks about game shows or TV programs? Will he have friends that come & hang out and watch movies? Will I have to plan play dates with other kids who have special needs?
When Sam was young, I didn't really even think about these things. Well, "these things" are starting to get hard. How long can I just smile & nod while Sam tells strangers funny things or hugs them? It won't be so cute when he's 17.
What will life be like in just a few short years? It makes me sad to think of all the things he'll miss out on...driving, dating, college, marriage, children. Now, I can never say never but at this point, I don't see those things happening. I know I need to look at the positive things and all the things he can do but as a mom, it hurts my heart.
Life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
All I can think to say is that as Sam gets older, so will the other kids and hopefully they will get more mature. They will understand...just give it time. I am so positive, that Sam is lucky to have you guys!
hang in there kimmy, sam has the most beautiful spirit...people will come to him.
You're not alone in your feelings. I can't think about it too much, it's just too heavy. At times it feels like it could break a mothers heart in two.
I figure that Brandon, Nick and I will be going on a lot of cruises together in later years. Want to come?
"They" say that being a Mother is the most wonderfully heartbreaking experience we have the pleasure of enduring. We get to experience so much joy, but have to pay the price for all the hurt. Sam will be OK, Kim. He is surrounded by people who love him and that will continue as he gets older. You are a sweet Mama to watch over him.
My first thought was what Liz said , as Sam gets older so will the others. I think there will always be great friends for everyone who won't see differences in each other.
a mother's heart is something we can never escape. I'm sure angels are surrounding that kid and he'll be OK even when Mom isn't sure.
I hate that fear. Most moms fear their kids will get teased, but moms of special needs kids know it will happen to their precious, wonderful kiddos. And there's little consolation in knowing that your baby may not fully get it. That sting and grief for the dashed dreams for them... ick ick ick.
I'm glad that Sam has his parents' fun, outgoing personality. He'll end up being a hero to the other kids with that! Hopefully he'll get a lot more cheering and support than anything else.
You inspire me to be a better mother! You're great Kim, really you are!
Post a Comment