I've been trying to figure out what to do with Sam's significant weight gain. Ever since he was little, he's been in the 5th percentile on height & weight. I even had a cardiologist ask me, "So, is there a reason why he's not thriving?" What? Sam has always been tiny, that is until he started a medication Risperdal. That was a his downfall. The medication worked really well but the weight gain side effect was dramatic so we changed the med to a similar kind, Abilify, to see if that would help....not really. He continued to gain weight and it's been real challenge to buy clothes for him. He's so short and has a big belly. I decided to take him to a GI doc to see what our options were. He made several suggestions and one was to see a nutritionist. We made an appointment with Bailey and saw her last week. I had to keep a 3 day log of what Sam ate and I'll tell you what, there is nothing like going in and sitting across from someone who is judging what you are doing as a parent. YIKES! After our appointment, I asked if I was the worst parent she's seen. Thankfully, I am not! YAY!
Here are the changes we need to make. Luckily, I am only a "2 pager".


So some of the things I've incorporated are: the vitamins, low cal/high fiber bread, spray butter, spray dressing, 2 snacks/day, low cal chocolate milk, more activity, no desserts during the week and carrying around paperwork that gives me calorie counts for restaurants. I've also added an app that lists the calories of more restaurants. I've not been a terrible mom when it comes to food but I certainly could have done better. We could all do better. Per our scale at home, Sam weighs 75 lbs. and he needs to lose 1/4 to 1 lb./week.
Happy Dieting!
Another baby step we've made is that Sam is officially off of....
That doesn't mean I haven't kept all the extra pills for myself! ha ha
Progress is slow but great.





3 comments:
I have two kids that have to visit the Pediatric Gastro specialist. One is on a high fat diet, the other on a fiber / heartburn diet. It is making me crazy. It's like owning a restaurant making specific meals for everyone. Ugh. I think I'm beginning to see the benefits of left over prozac! LOL
Other mothers in our support group have complained about weight gain associated with those meds as well. So frustrating! Our oldest was diagnosed with hypoglycemia 9 years ago. It was a very eye opening experience sitting across from the nutrition specialist but it started us down a much better path. Good luck!
Having someone "judge" you as a parent must have been tough. We all want what's best for our kids nutritionally and you don't want to have that "weird" kid who thinks that apple slices is dessert ;)I'm sure with a few small changes you will see improvements in Sam's weight. Remember .... weight loss is all about 80% what you eat, 10% genes and only 10% exercise. Good luck!
Post a Comment