Monday, May 31, 2010

In Memory

We took time out today to honor those men & women who have served or are serving in the military. Many have given their lives so that we can have the freedoms we enjoy.

This is a photo of my paternal Grandfather
Hewitt Abraham Whiting with my grandma, Eloise



This is my maternal grandfather (on the left)
Edward Max Miner




Today we took the opportunity to visit the grave of 1st Lt. Robert Collins, the soldier who was killed in April. He is the son of Sam's school's director. We added some flags, a pinwheel and some little patriotic blocks. We discussed with the kids what Memorial Day is all about and how we need to honor those who have served or are currently serving our country.






Many thanks to the soldiers, past and present, and their families for making such great sacrifices on my family's behalf.

2 comments:

yo nance said...

Great teaching moment, Kim. Way to go to take advantage of it. XOX

(Cute photo of my dad.)

sharcoll said...

Thanks, Kim and family! Deacon and I visited Robert last Sunday and put the bronze Army marker in the ground. The Fayetteville American Legion Post 105 members provided the marker. When I returned to visit on Memorial Day, I saw the pin wheel, star, USA, more flags, and more flowers. I appreciate your kindness and the fact that you used Robert as an example of what Memorial Day is. Enjoy the summer.