Thursday, May 20, 2010

Consistency




Sam was very upset with me today. He lost is TV/iPod privileges & he doesn't handle it well. He decided to hit, yell at me, call me names, tell me he's moving out (to which I offered to pack his bags) and then he locked himself in the bathroom.

It would have been much easier to just give in and keep the peace.


Is this battle really worth it?



He rode all the way to school with no video or iPod.
It's a long ride.



Being consistent sucks.

2 comments:

Annie715 said...

Sorry Kim. :( I am sure it is totally different with a 10-yr-old, but I know it's hard being consistent with Jonathan, too. What I struggle with is: am I even doing the right thing to be consistent on? And, will it change his behavior or just be a long fruitless struggle and if I had only switched tactics earlier things would have been easier...this parenting stuff is hard!

Jodi said...

You're doing the right thing Kim! Our kids get really sad at us when we "stick to our guns" with Nick but I think it's CRUCIAL with these little guys. They need to understand consequences and they need to know we mean what we say so that when they're three times our size we have a respectful, trusting relationship.