Damn seizures!!

A good day can go downhill very quickly...
I took Sam & Abby to the doctor for their cold symptoms. Abby had a virus and since Sam's been coughing for about 3 months, they put him on albuterol.
We filled our prescriptions & came home. At that time I administered his first dose. It seemed to really be working as he was coughing more, trying to get the junk out of his lungs. However, he just kept trying to clear his throat, it was non-stop for the rest of the night.
I put the kids to bed around 9pm and around 10pm, Sam told me he had a headache so I gave him some ibuprofen. I checked on him a bit later and he was still awake and looking just a little off. He was swallowing a lot but he said he was ok. About 10 minutes later, I checked on him again and this time it was apparent that he was having a seizure; rapid eye movement, very fast heart rate, dancing (horitzonally) to music that wasn't playing, seeing things that weren't there. He was also chewing his tongue and the insides of his cheeks.
It was time for the big guns: Diastat
(rectal valium)
We sat with him for about 20 minutes, checking his heart rate and keeping an eye on him. At one point he said as he looked at his clock, "It's midnight, you guys need to go to bed." Why? "So you can get some rest." Too sweet.
Unfortunatley, the med wasn't really working as fast as it has in the past and so I decided it was time to go to the ER. I left the house at 1:04am and I gave Sam a washcloth to chew on because I couldn't get him to stop. By the time we got to Scottish Rite, he had blood on his shirt and a piece of a tooth stuck to his shirt. What the...?
Luckily (I guess), we get in pretty quick due to Sam's history. The meds had finally kicked in around 2am and he was a bit hard to get in & out of the wheelchair and up into the bed. We saw the MD and there wasn't much to be done but they did do a CT, shunt series and a dental x-ray to check on the missing tooth.
We were home in our own bed by 6am.
We wonder if it was the albuterol that triggered the seizure, needless to say we are not giving him any more! Sam seems to go about 6 months between seizures and when I looked back at his last one, it was 6 months and 1 day. Weird.
Needless to say, it was just one of those awesome parenting moments. As I sat in the hospital for 3+ hours, I counted my blessings that we would be able to go home that night whereas some of the kids & parents that were there have spent days, weeks or months in the hospital.
I can't complain.

A good day can go downhill very quickly...
I took Sam & Abby to the doctor for their cold symptoms. Abby had a virus and since Sam's been coughing for about 3 months, they put him on albuterol.
We filled our prescriptions & came home. At that time I administered his first dose. It seemed to really be working as he was coughing more, trying to get the junk out of his lungs. However, he just kept trying to clear his throat, it was non-stop for the rest of the night.
I put the kids to bed around 9pm and around 10pm, Sam told me he had a headache so I gave him some ibuprofen. I checked on him a bit later and he was still awake and looking just a little off. He was swallowing a lot but he said he was ok. About 10 minutes later, I checked on him again and this time it was apparent that he was having a seizure; rapid eye movement, very fast heart rate, dancing (horitzonally) to music that wasn't playing, seeing things that weren't there. He was also chewing his tongue and the insides of his cheeks.
It was time for the big guns: Diastat
(rectal valium)
We sat with him for about 20 minutes, checking his heart rate and keeping an eye on him. At one point he said as he looked at his clock, "It's midnight, you guys need to go to bed." Why? "So you can get some rest." Too sweet.
Unfortunatley, the med wasn't really working as fast as it has in the past and so I decided it was time to go to the ER. I left the house at 1:04am and I gave Sam a washcloth to chew on because I couldn't get him to stop. By the time we got to Scottish Rite, he had blood on his shirt and a piece of a tooth stuck to his shirt. What the...?
Luckily (I guess), we get in pretty quick due to Sam's history. The meds had finally kicked in around 2am and he was a bit hard to get in & out of the wheelchair and up into the bed. We saw the MD and there wasn't much to be done but they did do a CT, shunt series and a dental x-ray to check on the missing tooth.
We were home in our own bed by 6am.
We wonder if it was the albuterol that triggered the seizure, needless to say we are not giving him any more! Sam seems to go about 6 months between seizures and when I looked back at his last one, it was 6 months and 1 day. Weird.
Needless to say, it was just one of those awesome parenting moments. As I sat in the hospital for 3+ hours, I counted my blessings that we would be able to go home that night whereas some of the kids & parents that were there have spent days, weeks or months in the hospital.
I can't complain.




1 comment:
So sorry about this Kim. What a stressful and scary experience!! I am glad Sam is doing better now.
Post a Comment