Photos: suspended uterus right ovary & cystOK, so who doesn't love a good surgical story? Especially one that involves cool internal photos.
Let's begin...
Back in March of 2008 I was sitting at the computer and had terrible cramping pain. I can equate it to labor pains, although I've never experienced labor, I think that's how it might have been. I had to lay on the couch, I was nauseated and the pain radiated to my lower back. I thought to myself, "I'm going to have to call an ambulance." Luckily the pain subsided and I was OK. I made a phone call to my gynecologist's office the next day and asked if they had any sick appointments available. The lady said no and if the pain is bad, go to the ER. Well, I'm not sure our local hospital has actual doctors in the ER so I decided against that. I was able to get into my regular doctor and as he came into the room with his suede pants on, he didn't even touch me and handed me a prescription for pain pills and anti-nausea medication. His thought, fibroids.
I eventually got in to see the nurse midwife sine my regular doctor never seems to be available. She checked me out and didn't find anything out of the ordinary and said she could send me for an ultrasound. I scheduled my appointment at the hospital and got it taken care of. I didn't hear back from the doctor's office so when I called, the helpful office girl relays the message that "everything is normal, repeat the ultrasound in 6 weeks." Why would I have to repeat it if it was normal? I did repeat it in June and I eventually got a call that said I did have an ovarian cyst but that it hadn't changed since the last ultrasound. I complained a bit to the nurse that they told me everything was normal. Sorry.
I had another episode of pain but managed through it then went to see my MD for a follow-up. The nurse put me in a room and my MD (a female) came in and asked why I hadn't had another ultrasound. I told her I had had 2 and that they were expensive. I really just wanted to know what my options were. She left and the RN came back in. I said, "Is this a waste of a visit?" She said yes. She was asking several questions and I said, "Can't the doctor be in here for this?" The MD reluctantly came back and I said, "Am I wasting your time?" I said, "I am here once a year for a yearly, an occasional UTI, I'm not pregnant and I'm not drug seeking. This whole thing has been handled very poorly." Sorry. That's what I got. I walked out of the room and said I wasn't coming back.
The saga continues...I decided to find a new MD who perhaps cared a little so I made an appointment for November. I then had more pain so I called the old MD just to get the order for another ultrasound. I had another US and after several days, the actual MD called all sweet and nice telling me I needed to have surgery, the cyst was now 6.5 cm, come in and get a blood test to determine if it's ovarian cancer. She scared me but I told her I needed a second opinion. I went to the appointment with the new MD and I thought I was seeing a female doctor but in walks a cute, younger-than-me man. Nice. We went through everything, I was scheduled for another US in 2 weeks. Finally, after many ultrasounds & visits, it was decided that I needed to have the whole right ovary, tube and accompanying cyst removed. Yeah!
I had hoped to get in before the end of the year so I could utilize the deductible that had already been met. No such luck. I had surgery on January 7th and they laproscopically removed my ovary, just barely. However, little did he know what I mess I was on the inside. The photos above show my uterus which is suspended and attached to my abdominal wall (not where it should be). My cyst created lots of problems as well, That's what happens when you have 2 c-sections I guess. I may also have some endometriosis..why not!
I have been trying to get back to "normal" and my incisions are still healing but it's only been a week. I've got to give my sweet husband Todd a big thank you. He took 3 days off of work, took care of me, the kids, laundry, cooked (even to a meal into a co-worker whose wife had a baby), vacuumed...pretty much everything. Love you honey! Thanks to my kind friends who brought in Thai for lunch, flowers, chocolate, dinner, cookies and the phone calls.
In this reporter's opinion, the surgery was a success but chooses not to do it again. I will say that I liked some of the drugs, Versed in particular is quite nice.




9 comments:
Good grief!! What a mess. How awful! Thanks for the pictures too...Just what I wanted to see right after lunch! I hope you get feeling better soon. I'm glad you don't have cancer:)
Yikes! At least you are a brave woman and did not listen to crummy doctor advice forever! How did you get these photos? That is way cool. Don't let Ryan see them, he'll ask if he can show them in class!
You poor thing... Glad everything is okay.
You're right versed is very nice!!!
Oh my goodness. I'm so glad that you are alright, and especially that you changed doctors! Sometimes the medical system really scares me.
P.S. Those pictures are amazing.
Holy cow Kim! If it's one thing I['ve learned in my old age, it's that y ou have to take y our health into your own hands! Those Dr. are too busy or don't care and don't listen!
I'm glad you are alright,and by the way, those pictures are so gross! :)
I hope you recover. Good Luck and I hope you feel better.
What a night mare. I am glad everything is good now and I hope your recovery continues to go well.
Sounds like you had a very exciting start to your new year. Hope you are feeling back to normal soon.
Good grief! I just read this. That's horrible. Don't you love those c-section problems! 2 of them gave me surgery in March to repair a hernia through my incision - and pain meds are quite nice! Hope you're on the mend.
Post a Comment