Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What did you do yesterday?

A few weeks ago my friend Teresa and I had planned on doing some shopping in Atlanta. We got our day set and yesterday, Tuesday, September 23rd, we were off to Discover Mills and Atlantic Station. We shopped at Discover Mills first then planned on going to The Flying Biscuit Cafe in Buckhead for lunch. We got seated, had our waters and our Side of Love had just been delivered to the table. (Black bean cakes w/tomatillo sauce & sour cream...yum!)

The phone rang and I didn't see the number but it sounded vaguely like Todd. I had to excuse myself from the table and go outside so I could hear. It was Todd and he sounded like he was in agony. He was asking what side his appendix was on. I told him I thought it was the left. He'd been in severe pain for about 2 hours. I asked if he needed to call 911 and he said no, he'd wait for me to come home. Panic sets in! I call my dear friend, Sara, and asked her to take him to the immediate care center by our house. I ran back to the restaurant and didn't even touch the wonderful BLT salad that I had ordered. We boxed up our lunch and raced through downtown Atlanta and made it to Douglasville in 20 minutes. Todd was in acute pain and they gave him a Demerol shot to get him somewhat comfortable so they could get a blood sample. The meds kicked in and they got what they needed. The MD came in and felt that Todd had a kidney stone but to confirm it, they would need a CT scan. I had to think fast since it was almost time to go get Sam so I called Todd's co-worker, Chad, and asked him to drive clear out to Tyrone to get Sam. I then took Todd to the hospital for the CT.

Little did I know that the contrast CT required Todd to drink half of this yummy apple shake and in an hour, drink the other half then an hour later the CT can be done. There was no where for him to lie down and he couldn't sit up so I took him home, got him to drink the rest, got Abby off the bus, took Todd back to the hospital for the scan then home. The nurse called with the results: 3 kidney stones, 2 of them in the kidney and one on it's way out. Now, I've never had a kidney stone but many people say it's similar to labor. I've never experienced labor either so I didn't quite understand what he was dealing with.
Well, Todd woke up today and feels a bit better but he was in such agony that every muscle in his body aches like he's been in the Iron Man competition. He's on high doses of pain meds, anti-nausea meds and an antibiotic.

If you would like to send condolences or casseroles, please send them to: 4400 Oliver Lane

PS...Todd owes me a BLT salad. It was in the car the entire day...so sad.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Ohhhh... Poor Todd. I feel so bad. Did he even share that shake with anyone. Sounds tasty.

Tonya K said...

Here's to a speedy passing! He's the 3rd person this month that I've known to have a kidney stone. All men too. Hope he feels better quickly.

Kate said...

That's crappy! I hear they are just the worst. Um I think my casserole might be worse off than your BLT salad if I drove it over. Ah well, next time.

Liz said...

We hope Todd feels better soon. Maybe next time you will get some apple shake too.

Tiffany said...

Oh no. Todd has my sympathy. I had kidney stones when I was pregnant. The only difference? They don't give epidurals for kidney stones.

Ouch!

The Ellington's said...

I am so sorry for Todd.