Friday, September 12, 2008

To the tune of...

So my parents bought this piano probably in 1970 or 1971. I inherited it in 1999 or so. I figured since I was the only one who ever played it, I should get it. It has been moved countless times and as you can see from the service record above, the last time it was tuned was in 1973.
Abby has started piano lessons so I figured it was time to tune this poor, pitiful piano so that it sounds somewhat like the piano she is using in her lessons. I contacted a local piano tuner and forewarned him about the service record. He came last week and was rather impressed at how bad it actually was. It took him 2 hours to tune and it still needs another tuning in 1-6 months. I guess that's what happens when you tune it every 30+ years! The piano guy asked if I wanted it vacuumed out and since that has never been done I figured, what's another $38 on top of the $250. See what we found in the piano below...
You've got your typical internal piano finds...a Clifford book, a handmade card about Sam (that will put me up for Mother of the Year), an eyeliner pencil, an envelope, Monopoly money and a Tonka guy. I'm hoping to sell the Tonka guy on eBay so that I can pay for the tuning. Any one who wants to make an offer, please let me know.

3 comments:

The Amazing Mumfords said...

Wow! $250! I am also in the process of getting mine tuned and my quotes were more like $80 - $100! But hey, at least you got some ebay finds in there! LOL!

Jenny said...

Can't you just pay the guy with the monopoly money you found.

Brad tells me to just go to the bank and get money when I tell him we don't have enough to buy something.

The Ellington's said...

That is hilarious. I inherited my parents piano as well, but my sis thought she did so she sold it on craigslist.