Sunday, April 11, 2010

Service Sunday

When I looked at my calendar after being on vacation, I couldn't believe it was Service Sunday already. We had decided last month that our next project was going to be picking up trash along the trail at Sweetwater Creek State Park. Todd packed our lunch and once we got changed out of our church clothes, we were off.

We hiked up to the old textile mill and had lunch along the river. The kids then spent some time throwing rocks into the river....they could have done that for hours.







It was time to start our project...trash pick up. Abby started us out.



The epic flood of 2009 caused quite a bit of damage along the banks. This is one tree that didn't survive.









We decided to try a different route and little did we know how treacherous it was. We were climbing over big rocks and roots. I was a bit shocked that Sam didn't complain. He just kept right on going. It was very difficult.



Not exactly sure what this was all about...perhaps an offering to the river gods.






We finally made it to the overlook.



We gathered a good bit of garbage along the way.



We had a great hike (about 2 miles), the weather was beautiful and we made our
little corner of the world a little cleaner.



PS....Ok, so here's what bothered me...as we started our journey, there was a family long the river that was fishing and one woman had a baby strapped to her chest with a baby carrier....and she was SMOKING! Right in the poor baby's face! It took a lot for me to not go over and smack her up side the head. Seriously!


3 comments:

Andy Porter said...

Lol. I think smacking someone in the face would have made such a great addition to your Service Sunday. You crack me up.

annieareyouok said...

What a great way to spend a Sunday as a family. I almost don't even want to mention the smking mom, but that would make me livid if I saw someone doing that!!! You want to call the police or something, but there's really nothing that can be done. You're kids are so lucky to have you as a mama.

Jacki said...

As a fellow Douglasvillian, thanks for making our city cleaner and thanks for not causing a scene by smacking a cray up side the head. I do feel bad for that baby though!