Do you have food memories?
I do...lots of them.
Abby was sick last week and while trying to give her something that is easy on the stomach, I made her some toast and cut it into strips. It suddenly reminded me of what my Grandma Miner used to do for us. She always had Clinton's wheat bread and when she toasted & buttered it, she then cut it into strips. Somehow serving it that way made it special.
I do...lots of them.
Abby was sick last week and while trying to give her something that is easy on the stomach, I made her some toast and cut it into strips. It suddenly reminded me of what my Grandma Miner used to do for us. She always had Clinton's wheat bread and when she toasted & buttered it, she then cut it into strips. Somehow serving it that way made it special.
Most of my food memories are from my grandmothers.
Such as:
Pink pies in mini graham cracker crusts
Pistachio jello salad
Knox Blocks
Rainbow jello
Toasted cheese
Puffed wheat/Puffed rice balls
Homemade bread baked in vegetable cans
Parker House rolls
Food can certainly bring us comfort and bring back great memories.
I hope my kids don't remember me by chicken nuggets and macaroni & cheese!
What are your favorite food memories?
Such as:
Pink pies in mini graham cracker crusts
Pistachio jello salad
Knox Blocks
Rainbow jello
Toasted cheese
Puffed wheat/Puffed rice balls
Homemade bread baked in vegetable cans
Parker House rolls
Food can certainly bring us comfort and bring back great memories.
I hope my kids don't remember me by chicken nuggets and macaroni & cheese!
What are your favorite food memories?




4 comments:
My mom did the same thing with toast and it WAS better that way. Grandma got me into chicken sandwiches with srouts. I totally remember grandma's jello (the pineapple/blueberry/pecan stuff), rainbow jellow for sure, corn flake potatoes, rolls ... this post is making me hungry ;)
Do you care if I just make my way down your blog making comments? Tee hee hee.
Fruit leather is my biggest. My grandma would dry apricot leather on her roof and roll it up and cut it into long strips. I loved unrolling those and chewing on them for hours. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
My mom would feed us at Costco on a regular basis. Still to this day whenever I walk into Costco or Sam's Club I have to go over to the snack bar and get myself a hot dog or pizza or some pretzel of some sort. Just keeping it real!
What a great post! I am so proud of some of those healthy food memories. I remember I had a peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich for breakfast every day in kindergarten. It is still one of my favorite snacks...open with no lid:) Yummy!
Post a Comment