Thursday, January 28, 2010

Seriously? Are you kidding me?


I have been legally driving for nearly 21 years and this is the first time I have ever been pulled over, let alone received a citation. I feel like I'm a pretty safe driver. Apparently J.J. Smith of the Palmetto Police Dept. disagrees.

I was driving to pick up Sam from school and as I was approaching a stop sign, I saw the police offer on the left. I stopped (now I didn't count how many seconds I was stopped), and since there was no other cars at the intersection, I cautiously proceeded through. That's when said officer decided to turn on his lights and follow me. I of course pulled over and went through the whole stupid process. He ends the stop with, I'm sorry we had to meet like this." Really, are you sorry or are you just behind on your quota for the month. I mean, it is January 26th and you only have 5 days until you have to turn in all you paperwork.

I called the police dept. today to get instructions since I've never had to do this before and the fine is $140 with 2-4 points put on your license. The nice lady explained the court procedure, etc.

So, what do I do? Do I just pay the fine and not worry about it and go on with my life? Do I go to court and plead not guilty and get another court date with the judge, officer & little old me? Do I ask to see the footage of the "incident"? I am just really bothered by the whole situation. What happened to a warning? He could plainly see that I have not had any warnings, citations or arrests on my record. I'm a fairly harmless person.

What should I do?

7 comments:

Annie said...

after having worked at the city hall for ever a year and a half, and collecting fines, not once did i see the judge (actually two judges) overturn the citation. everyone ended up paying. if you want to spend the time trying, that is your choice. $140 for a stop sign? whew, that is steep! and 21 years, you should be proud:)

The Amazing Mumfords said...

I got a ticket last year for not pulling over into the far lane when I passed an officer who had pulled over another guy. I told him I had no idea there was a law about that and he told me I could do traffic school to remove the points and they took $50 off my ticket. :(

Jacki said...

Citations are the worst! Seriously!

When I was driving out to Atlanta today I passed 5 cops just sitting on the interstate ready to pull people over and the only reason I could think that there were so many was because it was the 29th of the month. Oh yeah, and Georgia is totally in the red.

Maybe that is why it was $140 ticket. That is ridiculous! I fought a ticket before and it was thrown out because the officer didn't show up to court. I don't know if that is the same law in GA, but if so, that might be a possibility. Maybe not. Totally stinks though!!!

The Ellington's said...

What happened? Did you go to court yet?

Kim said...

I think I will go the court route. It's not until Feb 11th.

Jodi said...

Oh, I know your kind! You've probably never had a cavity either.

I had so many tickets by the time I moved away from Idaho my senior year that if I had received one more my license would have been revoked. I'm still a speedy driver but because I drive a green minivan I could be sitting at the wheel naked with my hair on fire and the police still wouldn't notice me.

Liz said...

I got a ticket once for going 31 in a 30 mile an hour zone. I wish I was lying. The cop said that I was by a park and that I should have slowed down for the crosswalk. (Of course no one was in the crosswalk at the time and it was not a school cross walk so no flashing lights. But yes, I went to court and fought it, but the city was standing strong with their no tolerance policy and I paid my $80 for 31 in a 30. Good Luck!