"The rains came down & the floods came up"
Here is what we have as of today:

empty 55 gallon water barrells-so helpful!
How many times have we sung that song?! Hundreds? Well, last night here in Douglasville, "the rains came down and the floods came up"! It literally rained all night long. We got about 9-12" of rain and it's not over yet. It was quite a spectacular lightning show too...ALL NIGHT LONG! There wasn't much sleep to be had by any of us due to the storm and then there was a terrible banging sound within the walls of the house. Todd checked and sure enough, we had no water. All of Douglas County has no water, with the exception of all the rain that is. Streets are closed due to flooding, the schools are closed and the stores are being taken over by people who didn't have any water stored. Now, I am not the best at being prepared but I have stored a lot of water in milk jugs as well as some 5 gallon containers. This past spring I did buy some 55 gallon drums but did I get them filled? No! Drat!
Here is what we have as of today:
empty 55 gallon water barrells-so helpful!




9 comments:
Kim I can't believe that happened to you guys. I guess I haven't been paying attention to the news. I have also been guilty of the 55 gallon water containers not being full until 2 years after owning them. I'm glad that you have some water. Hope you get it back soon.
Yikes! Did they give you an estimate as to when the running water would come back on?
Ugh...thanks for reminding me that we need to be more diligent in our emergency preparedness.
Baby wipes. Run to Costco right now and buy a bunch. We were at a cabin with frozen pipes for a few days and wipes were our salvation.
Don't forget the water in your water heater if worse comes to worse.
Good luck in this latest adventure!
Great reminder to be prepared! Hang in there, and I hope that rain water ends and faucet water returns soon!
When Claire was just a few weeks old the city shut off the water for a couple of hours. I didn't even have a water bottle to make her formula. It freaked me out. Luckily I could just hop in the car and run to the store. If a real emergency would have happened I would have been in HUGE trouble. We went the next day and bought barrels. Have I filled them...NO. I am going to have Randy fill them as SOON as he gets home.
Hope the water starts flowing again. Hang in there.
It always seems to take an emergency for us to get prepared. And then once prepared, an emergency never happens again. (Which I don't have a problem with, by the way.) Better safe than sorry. When Paul comes home I will ask him if our 55 gallon barrels are full of water. Sorry you have had to go through this, but thanks for the reminder that the rest of us need to get ourselves prepared.
eeesh! we are counting our pool as water!
Oh my! How awful is that. You're a step ahead of me though - your barrels may be empty but at least you have some! Ironically though I have been picking up 4 gallons of water each time I go to the store so we do have a bit to rely on....
I hope that your water returns soon... I LOVE the water containers outside to "catch" the rain. Great idea! Good luck getting those water containers filled. May I add a suggestion, make sure they are where you want them BEFORE you fill them because once they are full, they will not move.
Post a Comment