Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Living in the Lup of Laxury

So we are going on day 3 of no water here in Douglasville. The storm dropped about 20 inches of rain in 24 hours. At least 100 roads were closed or washed away. We literally have been stranded here. The main freeway was shut down for 2 days and all other roads out of the county were impassable. It's been crazy! The local schools have been closed all week. Sam's school closed for one day but Sam hasn't been all week since there is no way to get him there. Same for Abby's school. The bus took 3+ hours to get to school, luckily we didn't send Abby today. That would have been a miserable ride. All her homework has been emailed and she's been working on that. For those who have lived here for years, they've never seen anything like this before.

We've been trying to keep up with the lack of water. Here's what's up:

We take water from our neighbor's pool for the toilets



The current state of the kitchen


The current state of the bathroom-lots of empty milk jugs & buckets


The line to get bottled water from GEMA


Police & GEMA handling the distribution of drinking water


One of the many roads that are blocked


The moral of the story: Provident Living!! Be prepared!! Fill up your empty water containers!!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the update! I think of you every time I see the news! I hope you're back to normal soon!

Jenny said...

OH my!!! THank goodness for the neighbors pool.

Keep us posted!!!

Jacki said...

Thank goodness I don't live where you do! ;)

The Amazing Mumfords said...

Finally! The reason I needed to get a pool! LOL Hope it gets back to normal soon . . . but you'll have a great story to tell. :)