Monday, February 16, 2009

Heroes





So...what makes a hero? Here's a definition from the dictionary:

he⋅ro

noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:

So Abby comes home the other day with this picture she made at school. I am proud of her and am happy that she has faith in our President. I respect the office of the President of the United States...but, does Barak Obama fall under the category of hero? I guess to some he is a hero. He certainly is "a man of distinguished courage & ability" and I believe he is "admired for his brave deeds & noble qualitites."

I find it interesting that people place this title on a man who no one knew 3 years ago. He certainly has many accomplishments & made history when he became the first African-American President but he's only been in office for 28 days. I think we need to let him have a little more time at his job before we can consider him a hero.

Who are my heroes? I believe every day people do heroic things...parents who love, teach and care for their children, someone who takes time to give service, church leaders who devote their entire life to lead & serve, someone who takes a stand against a wrong, friends who help & support one another, husbands & wives who love and honor one another.

I believe we are all a hero to someone. We don't need a title to be a good person.

Who are you going to be a hero for today?


3 comments:

Jodi said...

I work on being a hero to my children every day. Unfortunately I end up playing the villain all too often.

Liz said...

Great thoughts...I definately agree with you on all of the above counts.

Mona said...

Kim,

Thank you so much for visiting Mona's Musings and reading "Angel Talk". I KNOW YOU KNOW what I"m talking about. I love your treatment on the subject of "hero" worship. Not only should we consider who are heroes are, but as we define a "hero", we ought to think about who WE may be a hero for...don't you think....

Your newest friend,
Mona
http://monasgospelmusings.blogspot.com/