At what age do you start to leave your kids home alone? I have a friend who actually called DFCS to get info on the amount of time a child, depending on their age, can be left home alone.
I'm betting I was VERY young when my parents left us kids home alone. I also recall that I babysat overnight for a family who lived in a small trailer in the middle of no where in Mt. Pleasant, Utah. They had 3 small kids and I was 11. ELEVEN?! Are you kidding me? What in the world were they thinking!? Who leaves their 3 kids, overnight, with an 11 year old? I was scared to be there by myself so I had my mom bring out my sister. She was 9!!
Those were the days...
I started leaving Sam alone for like 15 minutes while I picked up Abby from the bus. I was just down the road, he knew my cell number and we had a list of rules:
*do not answer the door
*do not answer the phone
*do not go outside
*stay in the basement
Over the last few months I've let him stay home for longer lengths of time. An hour is really my max and I make a couple of phone calls during that time. Since summer has been upon us, the kids really have no interest in running errands with mom. I don't blame them, I don't want to run errands either.
I'm at a stage I really never thought I would get to. Leaving the kids by themselves. I thought for sure I'd have to wait til Abby was like 12 or 13 before that would happen.
I'm enjoying my occasional hour alone.




No comments:
Post a Comment