Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mom, I'm really nervous....

And so was Mom.

Today was the big day. The day Sam passed the sacrament for the first time. For those who don't know what that is, for the Mormons it is the most sacred part of our church worship service. It's where we take the bread & water and it helps us remember our baptismal covenants and to follow Jesus Christ. You can read more about it here. In our church, young men that are 12 years old are ordained to the Priesthood and they are the ones who administer it to the congregation.

I've been nervous and emotional all week. Todd took him to church a little early and got him settled. I started getting teary before church even began. Sam sat next to Ryan Moore and I saw them whispering to one another. Ryan helped Sam find the right hymn number and I saw whisperings and nodding throughout the sacrament. Sam did a great job. I was just crying, trying to keep myself composed but it didn't happen. The lady behind us just patted us on the back.

Sam also bore his testimony and said he was excited to pass the sacrament. I bore my testimony about faith and how much faith Sam has. Several others made mention of Sam in their testimonies as well. Sam was greeted with lots of hugs and handshakes today. Everyone was so happy & proud of him.

Our sweet little Deacon!



After church, Todd took Sam to collect fast offerings, another duty for a deacon. The monies collected go to help members of our congregation. There will be many more opportunities for Sam to grow and learn and I'm grateful that he has good examples in the other Young Men in the ward as well as patient leaders who will help him grow in the gospel.

4 comments:

Annie said...

that is fantastic! congrats to sam. and to all of you. kim, you have a beautiful family!!

Anonymous said...

This blog made me cry. He really touches many lives doesn't he.

Andy Porter said...

Oh that's so neat!!

The Saling Family said...

sooooo wonderful! Makes me miss the ol' Midvale 2nd ward family, how neat it would have been if we were all still there to see it happen. :) Go, Sam, go!!!