Sunday, May 29, 2011

He's a Deacon!!

Sam was ordained a Deacon today. What?! I am not old enough to have a 12 year old. It was really special. Bishop Moore had him stand in Sacrament and announced he'd be ordained a Deacon. We all met in the Bishop's office and Bishop William Turbyfield ordained him and we had Joe Phillips, Don Meadows, Jared Aylworth, Ryan Cortez, Bishop Sherman Moore & Matt Sorensen in the circle. Also in the room were all the young men so it was really neat. We are sure proud of Sam. I know he's nervous about passing the Sacrament on Sunday but he'll do great and he has lots of boys who are willing to help him.

The family on Sam's special day



I hosted a "Special Dessert Night" because Sam wanted to have a celebration. We invited several families from our ward and I made some yummy Texas sheet cake and homemade vanilla ice cream.

Cindy, Marilyn, Jennifer



Kids playing in the yard



Bishop T., Matt, Ed



"He's our Bishop."



Ryan, Jacki & Brooks



Todd, Cameron & Ty



Jennifer & Emily



For some reason, this event has been very emotional for me. I don't know exactly why. Maybe this is the first milestone he's met, on time, in his life. I guess I'm also a bit nervous that Sam will not be with me during church and will be with the "big" boys. They all know and love Sam but he may be chronologically 12 but he's definitely not emotionally or mentally 12. I guess I don't want him to get teased or hurt.

I know this is just a new phase but man, transitions are tough. I am often reminded of a line from the movie "Steel Magnolias" where the character played by Daryl Hannah says, "She will always be young..." That is Sam. He will always be young and may never fully understand things and that's hard for a mom. You have such high hopes and expectations for your kids and knowing full well Sam will never do things that "normal" kids do is heart breaking. There will be no driving, no dating, no girlfriend, no college, no wedding, no children.

No growing up.

I guess he's a little like Peter Pan.

"All children, except one, grow up."
J.M. Barrie

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Oh Kim, I so get this. Milestones are a time of celebration and introspection. Bitter sweet.