Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Following Through

I knew this day would come. The day that I'd have to follow through on my threat. I try to make my threats scary enough that I won't have to follow through but it had to be done.

I changed Sam's PT appoinment (he chose morning vs. afternoon) to 8:30am to get it over with. He wasn't too cooperative prior to leaving so I was hoping it wouldn't carry over but it did.

Sam refused to get out of the car.
He ran down the sidewalk of the office building.
He screamed and carried on.
I dragged him into the office and he hid behind a bench.
He hit & kicked & spit.

Nice.

His therapist, Christy, and I tried our best to get him to calm down and go back but he wasn't having any of it. I gave him two choices: doing your therapy or go home and spend the day in your room. He chose neither.

I chose.

I got him in the car and silently drove a different way. I drove straight to the police department; the same place we took cupcakes two days prior.

I got Abby out of the car and left him and walked into the office. I spoke, through tears, to the office lady and she found an officer to come help me. We waited and kept our distance from the drunk guy that was being released from jail. Sweet. Poor Abby, in her pjs at the police department at 9am on her vacation.

Officer Morris pulled up asked what I needed and I explained my situation and how I had already had a meeting with Chief Womack & Officer Shaw. He then said, "I also have a child with special needs. He's 6, he was born 12 weeks early, he has CP and I've had to restrain him while he bites and scratches." I knew he was meant to be there today. He asked me what I thought he should do or say. Did I want him to take Sam out and put him into a holding cell for a few minutes? I told him to use his judgement.

He crossed the street and I unlocked the van door and he chatted with Sam. He was ready and willing to help Sam understand that what he was doing was not acceptable. After about 10 minutes, he called me over to let me know what they had discussed. I think Officer Morris scared the sh** out of him by just opening the door and being in a uniform and that's what he needed: a "friendly" reminder.

I hope Sam now understands that when mom says she'll do something, she WILL follow through.

Lesson learned.

At least today.

Thanks Officer Morris


5 comments:

Annie715 said...

Sorry you guys had a rough morning Kim. I hope Sam can remember that there are consequences the next time he gets upset. Hugs!

Kate said...

DANG!!! What a blessing to have an officer there at the ready with personal empathy. You go Kimmy, you're a great mom.

annieareyouok said...

Wow, Kim ... you are amazing. That must have been so difficult to do, but you did great. You are such a good example to your kids.

Tiffany said...

That must have been so hard! But kudos to you for following through. You're an incredible mom.

The Amazing Mumfords said...

Ugh, I hate doing that. I remember making my oldest who has OCD go to school. She cried and screamed and wouldn't let go of me as I pried her fingers off my arm and literally shoved her out of the van and shut the door on her. She screamed and was trying to get back in the car and I pulled away with all these mothers shaking their heads at me like I was the worst mom in the world. She went to school, she stayed all day, she was fine, but I cried all day. Being a mom is hard.