Friday, August 14, 2009

Kids & Honesty

I was meeting a new parent of a child that is now attending Sam's school. I took Sam with me so he could meet the little girl. My babysitter took Abby with her to run a couple of errands.

Abby made this comment:

"I'm glad I'm not going with them because I just don't know how to respond to special ed kids that aren't my brother."




I think the siblings of special needs kids get the raw end of the most of the time. So much time & attention goes to the one who has the "issues" & the siblings get the leftovers. We try really hard to make sure Abby has her own "life." Sometimes we just don't succeed.

Sam has been blessed to have such a wonderful, patient & loving sister who takes on the role of "the big sister" even though she is the little sister. She reminds him to "use righty", she has to witness his scary outbursts, she's had to sit in waiting rooms for countless hours while Sam is getting therapy. She helps him get toothpaste on his toothbrush. She reads to him and helps him with his homework.

Her life will also be filled with challenges as she gets older and it's such a balancing act as a parent. Are we doing enough? Is she getting what she needs? Does she have her own hobbies? Do we drag her to endless activities that involve Sam?

The silver lining in this is I hope that she's developed a greater degree of compassion for those who are different from her. I want her to love people regardless of their abilities. These are all things that are hard for an adult to learn, let alone a 6 year old.


Life is hard.




10 comments:

Jodi said...

I have had ALL of these thoughts and plenty more. Brandon and I have started a hefty savings account to cover the children's therapy when they get older.

You laugh, but it's true.

annieareyouok said...

I'm sure you are doing a great job with Abby ... and Sam for that matter. Truly the best thing for her is that you have these thoughts and try to do your best for her. She seems like a sweet little girl.

Liz said...

What a sweet tender soul she is! Hopefully she can keep those amazing abilities into her teenage years....

yo nance said...

Abby will very likely grow up to be the best compassionate service leader ever. And until then she will always be the one who sits at school lunch with the new kid, the loner. She'll invite the unpopular girl to her birthday party. She'll make friends with all the under-dogs. And she'll bring home the orphaned kittens. You can't worry about a child like that, but because you are aware of the possibilities of her not having her own life, I think you'll both make it just fine. You're doing a super job.

R.M. said...

Hi! I don't know you but I agree! Life is hard! My 8 year is a great big brother to his 6 year old Autistic sister but I always feel like he gets the raw end of the deal. We just have to do our best with the trails we have been given and hope it all works out for the best. Good luck, God Bless - and know you are not alone!

Tiffany said...

What a sweet girl she is, and what a good mom you are!

Sigh.

whitingclan said...

oh Kimmie You are AMAZING! You have no idea how much I look up to you and admire you. And little Abby is following right in your foot steps. and what a little Angel she is. I don't know how you could possably be a better parent to those kids. You two todd! And even if you do make parenting mistakes no biggie. I know some kids that had a really hard time growing up and they turned out amazing! but they sure married some interesting characters. What happened there? :) LOVE YA

Jennica said...

What a tender post. Abby is an amazing little girl. Sam is so lucky to have a sister like her. You are doing a great job with your kids.

Anonymous said...

Abby sounds like a doll. I have no doubt that she was meant to be with Sam, and Sam was meant to be with her. They need each other.

The Saling Family said...

I only wished you lived closer still, so that Abby could be an example to Jonah, and you could continue to be such a great example to me! I would say I look up to you, but well you know... ha ha