Well, after mentally planning this day for the last 10 years, it went off without a hitch! Saturday, June 13, 2009 was a very special day for us. It took Sam a long time to be willing to be baptized and we patiently waited. I've spent countless hours getting ready and we had such a great day. I knew we would have a lot of people and we did...at least 100 came to support Sam. We had quite a diverse range of religions represented as well...Baptist, Catholic and Church of England to name a few. I really wanted it to be a good experience for those not of our faith. I hope it was. The program went as follows:
Conducting: Bishop Sherman Moore
Chorister: Sara Foskey
Pianist: Jennifer Moore
Opening Song: "I Am a Child of God"
Opening Prayer: Todd Weinreb
Baptism Talk: Kim Weinreb
Musical Number: "Teach Me to Walk in the Light" played by Abby Weinreb (piano)
The Baptism of Sam Weinreb by Randy Whiting (uncle)
Video Presentation: I Am Sam (see post above for video)
Talk on Holy Ghost: Marilyn Turbyfield
Confirmation of Sam Weinreb: Bishop Sherman Moore
Closing Remarks: Bishop Sherman Moore
Musical Number: "If the Savior Stood Beside Me"
by Abby Weinreb, Abby Moore & Carly Foskey (two out of the 3 were "toothless")
Closing Prayer: Sam Weinreb
After the service, we went to the cultural hall and had refreshments and we had quite a spread: Chick-Fil-A nuggets & chicken salad sandwiches, fruit, veggie trays, brownies, cream puffs, eclairs, grapes, crackers & cheese, brownies, hummus with pita chips, peanut butter cookies, chips & salsa. Yum!
The whole event was wonderful and I had so many people help. It was a very spiritual and emotional experience for me. Every milestone is late for Sam but it eventually comes and we are grateful for that.




8 comments:
It sounds like a great moment in Sam's life. I wish we could have come. I miss the old gang.
Only in Salt Lake, and apparantly where you live, in Georgia, do they have spreads like that after a baptism.
Elizabeth was baptised in the Salt Lake Tabernacle and not in Tucson where we lived. Wanted it special, thought it would be. But
she wouldn't come out of the dressing room. The opening prayer was said, the song, the talk on baptism was given. Still no Elizabeth. Still crying in the dressing room. Finally when time came for Ben to baptise her; I don't know how we got her to come out, but it finally happened, and she was baptised. Maybe we should have waited until she was ten.
Congratulations to Sam! Sounds like a wonderful day. You had me at Chik-fil-A nuggets!
Way to go!!! Congrats to Sam and your whole family.
what a special day for Sam and your entire family! I wish I could have been there. Miss seeing you guys! Looks like everything turned out fabulous!
Kim,
I am so glad that the day went so well. It sounds like Sam is a very special boy and is a great example. I glad that after all your prayers, hard work, and planning you were able to feel so good about it. You are such an example to me.
Kim, I'm so glad that you had such a beautiful day! I wish I could have been there.
Congratulations to Sam! Kim, you are gorgeous! I must now secretly hate you.
Post a Comment