While we were at Disney World, we
noticed a strange mole on Abby's back so I made a mental note that I
needed to take her to the dermatologist.
Fast
forward to Friday, April 6th. Abby & I both had appointments
at the dermatologist office. I go once a year, just to get checked and
Abby needed her mole checked out. He looked at me first then it was
Abby's turn. Well, it needed to be biopsied and she cried and begged
and cried and begged for us to come back and do it a different day.
Nope, it's gotta be done now, I'm not coming back. She was really more
concerned about the shot but she managed it well and it was over in 2.5
seconds.
Fast
forward a week: I got a call from the MD office that the mole was
considered a dysplastic nevus and an excision needed to be done. It was
considered mild to moderate. Crap. I made the appointment for May 4th
since she had the day off. Todd told her about a week ahead so that
she could mentally prepare for it.
Friday,
May 4th: A lucky day for Abby, a well-child visit and a dermatology
visit! Our good friend, a MD himself, gave me a prescription for Emla
cream which helps to numb the skin so we got Abby numbed up and ready.
It didn't really work that well and more tears and begging ensued. I
said it's either here and now or it's go to the hospital, get an IV then
get the excision. She came to her senses.
She
did well with the numbing and they did A LOT of lidocaine. Todd stood
in the back and I stood near her and watched the entire procedure. Dr.
Hougier took out a huge chunk of her back! Some internal stitches and
about 9 external stitches and she was done. Poor girl! Just how she
wanted to spend her day off. We are waiting for the pathology results
on that and hope that she doesn't have to get more cut out.
Patiently waiting....
Currently has a mild reaction to the neosporin....






2 comments:
Dang it! I am SO sorry she has to endure this. I Hate it when kids have to have medical procedures. Keeping our fingers crossed for her -
Poor Abby. You are SO good to be on your toes about getting an annual exam and having your kids checked out. Scary stuff, but it just has to be done. Such a brave little girl!
Post a Comment