Sam has been 12 for 6 months and due to his "early to rise" schedule, he's been unable to attend the temple with the youth. Luckily for him (and me), they scheduled an appointment to do baptisms for the dead during the Thanksgiving holiday.
That day, the weather did not look good. They were forecasting high winds, lots of rain and possibly tornadoes. I was quite reluctant about going but decided to give it a try. We met with the other youth at the church and we drove up. The weather held out just in time for us to get inside the temple.
We coordinated the evening so that Sam could go first so that I could get him changed in the girl's dressing room quickly enough before the girls came in. Sam was a bit wary but decided to give it a try. After asking for his goggles, which I didn't have, he was able to do two baptisms and that was enough for him. It was a very special moment and I know that those two men who he was baptized for were there in spirit.
After he was changed, you could just hear the torrential rains coming down. It was very loud but we were safe and where we needed to be. Sam also managed to do ten confirmations so he got to experience everything which I am grateful for.
Once we were finished, we walked out and the rain had stopped. We took 20 people to Chick-Fil-A for a late dinner and then headed home. It was a really wonderful experience to be able to see my own child help and serve others who can't help themselves.





1 comment:
That is so neat! What a great experience for both of you.
Post a Comment